Popei Ioan (1954 - )
Anul nașterii: 1954
Ioan Popei was born in Agapia, Neamt county, Romania, on July 15th, 1954. His first exhibition was in Piatra Neamt in 1985. His religious icons were very well received abroad also, in France, Holland, UK, Belgium and Australia. As every other mystery, Popei's one is simple: faith and a leaning towards the depth of the being, there where the limitless creative powers come from. Ioan Popei does not paint icons, he prays.
About Ioan's oil paintings:
"As for panel painting,the painter Ioan Popei uses the therapeutical quality of colors, irrespective of the chosen themes.The artist makes me think that probably he himself is charmed by his own paintings"
The art critic and Counsellor of the
Department of Culture and Art of Piatra Neamt,
Professor Lucian Strochi
About Ioan's religious icons:
Ioan Popei's orthodox icons on wood are but splints of the Holy Tree. Popei's christian icons are painted directly with beams of light.
Prof. Lucian Strochi, art critic
In front of Ioan Popei's orthodox icons the man does not feel overwhelmed by the idea of sacrifice, yet, rediscovers the triumph of life. He comes close to the moving verse of Eminescu "Faith paints the icons in the curches".
Valentin Ciuca, art critic
"I cannot thank God enough for allowing me to paint icons..."
Honors and Awards:
- First prize for the best portrait
- The Great Award of the Botosani Creation Camp
- The prize for portraits - The Arthur Verona Competition
- First prize for the best landscape oil painting - Sibiu
- First prize for the best colourist - Romania
- 1985 - 2004 - Exhibitions in Romania
- 1991 - United Kingdom
- 1992 - Bayonne in France
- 1995 - Rotterdam in Holland
- 1996 - Ridderkerk in Holland
- 1997 - Den Hag in Holland
- 1998 - Den Hag in Holland
- 1999 - Melbourne in Australia
- 2000 - Rotterdam in Holland
- 2002 - Vienna in Austria
- 2003 - Munchen in Germany
- 2005-2012 - Romania
- 2011 - London, UK